Backups consumes double the size of the account?

lucidenemy

I have noticed this issue on multiple of my installs. currently I have an account size of 192054 megabytes (which is what is in the backup log) for some reason it needs 384108 megabytes. I am not sure why? is the backup script backing up the backup directory or something? I have nothing in the exclusions section and not super sure what I can do to manage the size. The accounts on the server are not my own as I just host the sites for other people so I cant do anything in regaurds to optimizing the wordpress installs they all use (nor do I want to even open that can of worms lol) so I am not sure if there even is anything I can do myvesta side.
myVesta
Site Admin

Unfortunately, Serghey (author of official Vesta) made a backuping process in two phases:
- first it makes separated archives for web domains, mails, databases.... so you will get: some-domain.com.web.tar, some-domain.com.mail.tar, some-domain.com.db.tar
- then all those tar archives put in ONE big final tar.gz archive.

So, if you think about it, you will realize that, in order to archive it all - you need a free space for some-domain.com.web.tar, some-domain.com.mail.tar, some-domain.com.db.tar + free space to generate final tar.gz
And that's a needed space that is equal to double size of account.

We are talking about a free space in the moment of backup creation.

Of course, some-domain.com.web.tar, some-domain.com.mail.tar, some-domain.com.db.tar will be deleted after final tar.gz is generated, so final backup will be the same size as original account (or smaller because of compression).
But, in order to create it, unfortunately you need a double free space.
lucidenemy

is there a way to have it like not do that last phase where it combines all the folders, so it makes each of the archives and I can pull it from there? I am trying to figure out a way to let this run thru or maybe another easy to set up backup solution (I assume the FTP backup happens after everything runs so it would still be unable to finish running)
myVesta
Site Admin

Unfortunately, it will brake a compatibility with official Vesta backups, and it requires a lot of code modifications.
Right now I must get focused on much important features.