Thanks dpeca for the VestaCP fork!

deanhills

@dpeca

So I finally did the deed. I changed from CentOS 7 to Debian 9, so I could try out the myVesta Fork. I can't believe the difference in speed between CentOS and Debian. What a difference this is.

I've been using VestaCP for years now - since 2014. And realized over the last two years that VestaCP had security issues. So the last week I was exploring alternatives. First alternative was CyberPanel. And what a heavy monster that was. Compared with VestaCP it was totally overwhelming. I found even with a VPS that had 8 GB RAM and 88 GB disk space that the panel was dragging. There were bugs as well. It felt as though the panel was taking everything over. I then finally ditched CyberPanel.

Next I tried the Belgian Fork of VestaCP, but while trying to install the script, it asked for Java. I wasn't prepared to load Java as I find that a security risk. At that time I could have tried myVestaCP, but I have been using CentOS for a number of years, and thought Debian would be a large learning curve.

Next project was to see whether I could get my WordPress sites to run from the command line with a LAMP stack with CentOS 7. I went through hours and hours and HOURS of tutorials trying to make the privileges and rewrites work, but it was a total disaster in the end. So I aborted this project as well. It was not a complete lost cause though, as in the process I got to learn how to install and use MariaDB and how the inner workings of it worked. And all of that served me well when in myVesta version of VestaCP the phpmyadmin didn't want to open on root. So it was easy to set up a non root user. And luckily it worked out and I'm now able to access phpmyadmin much safer.

Tonight before i changed to Debian 9 and myVestaCP - I had a last ditch project with trying to install an OpenLiteSpeed server on CentOS 7. I spent hours and hours following tutorials and working on privileges - and well I should have known, if CyberPanel didn't work, so maybe LiteSpeed Server was at the root of it. After hours of battling I finally gave up on this. And then decided that if I had to change to Debian to try the Debian Fork, that so be it. With all of the hours I'd wasted on CentOS, I may just as well learn to use Debian.

I'm glad the above happened. As immediately after I installed Debian 9 (Debian 10 is unavailable as a template) I noticed an enormous change in the speed of the VPS. I didn't think an OS could make a difference in speed, but Debian did make a difference. Then next I had to learn (and I'm still learning) some of the commands that are slightly different to CentOS, but there is so much info available on Google. It went much easier than expected.

Anyway, again, I wish to thank you for creating this fork. I totally like VestaCP. It works for me. It is light to the touch with Nginx. Everything works like lightning.
myVesta
Site Admin

Debian10 is faster, because (in Deb10 installer) I switched Apache to mpm_event mode (much faster mode than mpm_prefork), put PHP in PHP-FPM, and made nginx template optimization ( viewtopic.php?p=151#p151 )

But, anyway, glad to see that Deb9 is fast too :)
droopy

Debian10 was not also as a template on my vps provider, but i PM the hosting technicians and they could install debian10. (Recommended)

I recommend you join Debian10 security mailing list, so , you are online with a security bug, and immediately update the server in case there is something urgent.
myVesta
Site Admin

droopy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:32 pm I recommend you join Debian10 security mailing list, so , you are online with a security bug, and immediately update the server in case there is something urgent.
Done long time ago :)
azlanirda

dpeca wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:12 pm Debian10 is faster, because (in Deb10 installer) I switched Apache to mpm_event mode (much faster mode than mpm_prefork), put PHP in PHP-FPM, and made nginx template optimization ( viewtopic.php?p=151#p151 )

But, anyway, glad to see that Deb9 is fast too :)
Hello dpeca

how to make sure that the apache is running in mom_event mode?

and what is the optimized number for it?

thanks...
myVesta
Site Admin

azlanirda wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:50 pm how to make sure that the apache is running in mom_event mode?
In SSH run:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/vesta/bin/v-list-sys-web-status | grep "Server MPM:"
azlanirda

thanks...