MyVesta Admin Lockout

Vestalicious

Hi there Good folks!

Control panel spews out error message:

Invalid username or password

Whilst attempting to login in. Today. I have also changed secret url and admin password to try fix the problem but all to no avail. Nada.

Pulling my hair out!

Please help. Fresh re-installing CP not an option in my case...
Have a nice one

Cheers!
myVesta
Site Admin

Did you try in different browser?
myVesta
Site Admin

Also try:

Code: Select all

sed -i "s/yescrypt/sha512/g" /etc/pam.d/common-password
/usr/local/vesta/bin/v-change-user-password admin SOMENEWPASS
Maybe system update reverted crypto algorithm to yescrypt.
deanhills

OK. I now know for sure it has something to do with Vesta specifically. HestiaCP has the exact same issue for me.

I started with my desktop computer to check all my browser settings. I have two up to date browsers: Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It was already suspicious that this should be a problem with both browsers. I then deleted all history and cookies, as well as made sure my cookies were available. I also put my URL in the exceptions giving it maximum cookie priviliges. Step by step I learned this was an issue that is specific for me to VestaCP.

Then last night it became even more interesting when I was working with a User Account of HestiaCP. HestiaCP comes with a very old shared hosting account in 2016 from KuJoe at Afreecloud.com. At that time he was running it on VestaCP which gave me the unique opportunity to learn how a user account looks like in VestaCP. 18 months ago KuJoe decided to change to HestiaCP. At the time I was unable to get into the panel and continued to update the WordPress site from its Dashboard login. But last night when I updated it I got issues, and realized I would need to completely recreate the site in the HestiaCP user account. I struggled, but finally managed to get in, and then woe behold I got the exact same problem as with MyVestaCP panel. It was logging me out automatically almost every time when I wanted to save or click on something.

So today I decided to also try this in a different computer on my laptop. And the problem is exactly the same. So this problem has to be unique to VestaCP.

I will check up your script later on on my VestaCP and will let you know whether it helps.

HestiaCP is however MUCH MUCH worse than MyVestaCP as at least with MyVestaCP it doesn't happen all of the time. Infrequently. It also still allowed me to install databases. With HestiaCP as soon as I "save" the created database, it reverts back to the login page asking me to login again. So basically I can't use HestiaCP at the moment until I've sorted out the problem, whereas with MyVestaCP I'm completely OK. I don't know whether that is because I'm the Admin of MyVestaCP. But for MyVestaCP I can live with the logouts as they don't affect the working process and it doesn't happen all of the time. It's just very irritating. Whereas with HestiaCP I now can't install a database or do basic functions.

By the way. I had the same issue with the automatic logouts with the VestaCP Forum. However, when I followed one of the many tips in Google it helped the problem. I ticked the "remember me" option when I logged in.

Is there a way that one can write an instruction to provide for a similar "remember me" tool in the VestaCP panel login? Or is there a script for it?