Zone-file for a domain stops working (SRV records format?)

Post Reply
NordicSnowman
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:52 pm

This happens now and then without anything in the logs or other clear reason.

Whats happening
Suddenly a domain can stop resolv, the dns-servers are synced, all of them have the data and the zone-files looks good.
Restarting the servers, services, bind, making sure everything is updated and so on does not change anything.
Only solution is to remove the domain from DNS, and add it again - and sync the cluster.

For some time its the same domain doing it, after adding more domains to the system the issue moves to another domain.

Anyone else seen this?
I manage 8 myvesta setups and they all have this issue, not at the same time but very random. Sometimes its a few weeks between the issue.

Anything i should look for next time it happens? log-files or something that might help finding the issue?
User avatar
myVesta
Site Admin
Posts: 937
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:59 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Restart bind

Code: Select all

systemctl restart bind
and see what error will come up in /var/log/syslog

Probably you have some record with an invalid type of value.
For example, you entered a hostname in the 'A' type of the record or something like that.
NordicSnowman
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:52 pm

Redacted this post, it was just some logfiles and stuff before i found the issue - see next post.
Last edited by NordicSnowman on Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NordicSnowman
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:52 pm

After some reading on the SRV record, i think this is a bug in MyVesta ? (and vesta too, i remember having this since long time ago)
In my first post i found out that all domains with issues had a SRV-record.

I tried adding a test domain, named testdomain.com

Everything looked nice.
Then i added this to a SRV record

Code: Select all

20 5000 sip-server.example.com.
pasted exactly like that.

But in the zone-file, its saved like this

Code: Select all

srv-test    14400   IN      SRV     10      "20 5000 sip-server.example.com."
So i reloaded bind and looked in the syslog

Code: Select all

Jun 23 05:13:07 panel named[239845]: dns_rdata_fromtext: /home/admin/conf/dns/testdomain.com.db:15: not a valid number
Jun 23 05:13:07 panel named[239845]: zone testdomain.com/IN: loading from master file /home/admin/conf/dns/testdomain.com.db failed: not a valid number

If i edit the SRV-post, and remove the ", and save it.
Now the row looks like this in the zonefile db-file

Code: Select all

dreamhost._domainkey    14400   IN      SRV     10      20 5000 sip-server.example.com.

The bind-server reloads perfectly again.

Whats probably happening is that when i add this to a domain, it works until the serial/timestamp of the zonefile expires, and then the domain dies.
Probably a bug, Vesta/MyVesta (and probably hestia too) adding " to the data field on SRV-records.
User avatar
myVesta
Site Admin
Posts: 937
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:59 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Hmmm, something other is the problem there because I successfully used SRV records many times.

Actually, I always followed this format:


Screenshot_48.png
Screenshot_48.png (17.51 KiB)

Screenshot_49.png
Screenshot_49.png (15.02 KiB)
Screenshot_50.png
Screenshot_50.png (6.99 KiB)

I think the catch is putting all three numbers in the "Priority" field.
NordicSnowman
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:52 pm

Nice, that might explain the issue 😀

Edit: changed now on all five servers with issues, and they all report normal function in syslog on bind.

Thank you for correcting my stupidity, i should have known
Post Reply