Dozens of emails from cron "sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified" + admin u/p "invalid"

wpinsites

Hi all!

I awoke to a lovely gift this Monday morning, my email inbox with dozens of emails from cron all with the message:

sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

I immediately tried to access the MyVestaCP but it tells me my admin login and password is invalid - yay! :(

I have root server access
I have checked /etc/passd and the admin user is in there with /bin/bash set
I have checked /etc/sudoers and the entries for root and admin are present

All websites hosted on the server seem to be functioning correctly.

I am reluctant to just reset the admin password from the command line in case there is a deeper issue.

Any assistance or suggestions appreciated.
wpinsites

I have since reset the admin password but this has made no difference.

Still getting the emails from cron and still can't log in.

I also restarted the vestacp service.
wpinsites

Should I try v-rebuild-user on the admin account, or am I dancing with the devil doing that?
wpinsites

Additional steps I have taken to try to work out what the underlying issue is:

v-list-cron-jobs - shows that all of the cron jobs I'm receiving emails about are owned by the admin user

v-rebuilt-user admin - had no impact, no change

v-rebuilt-cron-jobs admin - had no impact, no change

Generated a report using this script - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=926 - then tried resetting the admin password via the web "Forgot Password" interface using the exact username and email shown in that report, but it told me that the username and email address shown in that report didn't marry up.

I can, of course, use the CLI via the root server access, but nothing seems to have had any impact on the ability to log in to the dashboard. I have also tried logging in to the dashboard as one of the other users with the same outcome, it tells me the username or password is incorrect.

I'm now at a complete loss as to where to go from here other than to build a new server and transfer all of the accounts using the backups.