Can't get into to login page. Connection times out

steve-l

Hi!
I am running MyVesta on Debian 10 as a virtual machine in ESXi. It has a static public IP.
When I try to bring up the login page using Firefox on a Mac and other browsers as well, it fails citing a timeout. The server time and date are correct.
If I go to the server's web address (hostname) without the port # or secret, it brings up the base myVesta base web page and SSL is working on that page.
I have been messing with this for way too long. Without the myVesta control website I am basically unable to deal with the websites and mail, etc. without laborious work using the console.
I have tried these things and more:
Update myVesta
Update Debian
Run Clamav for viruses
Run rootkit checker
Checked fail2ban jails and such for irregularities,
Changed passwords
And a bunch of other things!
I have run a ton of Google searches, and looked for things on this website to no avail.
When this first happened, I made 2 extra copies of the VM.
I also seem to have SSH connections there from IP addresses in China.
This all happened after my ESXi was hacked with ransomware. That was rather simple to fix by reinstalling ESXi on the machine and changing it's access to a LAN IP.
Right now the big thing is getting into the myVesta web page on port 8083 without it timing out and not letting me in!

Any help you can give me would be very appreciated!
Thank you very much,
Steve LaVigne
myVesta
Site Admin

It's something related to ESXi networking.
If you are suspecting of firewall, as root run:

Code: Select all

v-stop-firewall
steve-l

Can't get in no matter what I do! I think I am being hacked on this machine so I built a new one on my other servers.
I am having fun getting my backup to reinstall everything on the new server!
...So another new entry here for that!
Thank you very much for your help!